Wednesday, May 5, 2010


I met my first tillandsia (air plant) in a cute boutique in San Jose while shopping with my mother. I instantly fell in love with them and knew I had to have some. The woman wanted $15-30 for her air plants so I immediately put them in my internal "way too much to pay for something I am just going to kill" category. Andrew's mom told me there are places where you can find tillandsias way cheaper, but I had yet to find one until yesterday. I almost jumped for joy when I saw a whole box of tillandsias (some healthy and some very not healthy) at Home Depot for $5/each. I grabbed the best three and soaked them overnight to freshen up their little selves. What will I do with them? Who knows, but it gives me something to think about while I am nursing at 3am.

Also, I gave up on creating a feeding/awake/asleep schedule for Reade. He is two weeks old for goodness sakes. I should not be trying to control anything at this point. I know pediatricians have good intentions, but I think I will let Reade get used to the world before I go sleep Nazi on him. Also, this kid is hungry. If you heard how this kid screams for food you too would be siding with him over the pediatrician. I am going with the flow and I can always change it later.

Now for some squiggle time:


Danika said...

Word ... doctors are well-intentioned but they're not there at 1am ... and 3am ... and 5am when push comes to shove. ALl in due time...

Darrell said...

Hi! I just stumbled on your blog looking for peoples' air plant collections. I just bought a whole bunch (like 16 LOL) and was curious to learn more. I found out that although they're called "air plants", they don't survive on air alone. They need to be thoroughly drenched (ideally soaked in tepid water) 2-3 times a week. You can mist them occasionally for added humidity but they have to be soaked or really drenched for a little while to open their "scales" so they can absorb the water, for at least 10-20 minutes (though you can soak them for up to 12 hours if you are going away for a week or two)--just be sure to let them dry thoroughly (preferable upside-down so they can drain) before putting them back in their resting spots.

Anywho, I hope this info. helps you keep your little "guy" alive :) I have some pic's of my little collection on my blog.